Jul 12 2013
Article submitted by Artesian Tan.
Just as most things in life, there are certain rules to follow when it comes to spray tanning. Follow these dos and don’ts to have a safe, glowing and natural-looking tan.
1) DON’T assume that the technician or salon know what you want your tan to look like. This can lead to an incredibly dark tan when perhaps all you want is to look a shade or two darker.
2) DO your research and interview your technician pre-tanning. You want to ask questions regarding cost, the depth of color you’re seeking as well as their spray tanning training, in order to guarantee satisfaction with the end result.
3) DON’T assume every time you receive a spray tan it will look exactly the same.
DO recognize that the weather, the technician and the condition of your skin can affect the outcome of your tan.
4) DON’T believe the rumor that having a spray tan will keep you safer from the sun. This is completely false.
DO use the proper sun protection as you would without a tan. The risk of skin cancer is incredibly real and a serious issue. Make sure to take the proper precautions whenever you’re out in the sun.
5) DON’T spray tan the day of a special event. While an experienced tanner may not have an issue, first-time tanners need to do a practice run in order to avoid looking unnatural. For special occasions such as a wedding or prom, it’s crucial to do a walk-through in advance.
DO get a tan at least a week before a special event and decide on the proper color ahead of time. Discuss what you want the end result to look like with your technician so that they’re aware of the look you’re seeking. This way they can select and prepare the proper products and the spray tan equipment to use. Also, prepare your skin by exfoliating and moisturizing regularly.